Last month after surveying, NCDOT starting marking property along N. Highland Lake Road with stakes. These stakes represent several different boundaries, including:
- DUE (drainage and utility easement)
- PDE (permanent drainage easement)
- PUE (permanent utility easement)
- ROW (right of way)
- TCE (temporary construction easement)
- TDE (temporary drainage easement)
Not all of the stakes mark property that will be taken from the park and other private property owners, but they do show permanent easements and new right-of-way boundaries.
The temporary construction easement is used so that NCDOT can keep large construction equipment and vehicles on site without having them in the work area. While these easements go away once the project is finished, in order to accommodate large machinery during the project, landscaping (including trees) will be negatively affected.